Monday, January 11, 2010

Pre-planned Airlift Out Of Avalon 50 Mile Race





Here we are, just a few days away from our "25 mile version" of the Avalon 50 mile race in Catalina Island, wondering, exactly how are the four of us, Kerry, Andrea, Michele and I, going to get back to Avalon from Two Harbors? Of course, there is always the option of running back. Not happening with my knee. Then, there is the more sane possibility of hitching a ride with one of the volunteers. Thus far, nobody has ever accused me of being sane.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my very dear friend, Tom Crull, who is not only the Ultra Running Stud of Texas, but the race director of the Rockledge Rumble 50k, when he mentioned "why don't you take the helicopter back?" Tom served two tours of Vietnam with John Moore, the owner of Island Express, the wonderful helicopter company which offers shuttles from Long Beach to Catalina Island. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am all about adventure. One phone call later, and it was all set. We will be enjoying the view of the 50 mile runners, weaving their way back through the Island, to the finish line. If they're lucky, maybe we'll drop them some GU.

1 comment:

  1. Tom Crull's the man! What an adventure you are gonna have! I love helicopters! Take pics (and video) if you can! Wishing you all the best on your Catalina Island adventure! And be careful!

    ReplyDelete