Friday, October 2, 2009

Hot Yoga


Hey guys! As my mom was talking about in her last post one of our favorite work outs to do together is hot yoga, or other wise known as Bikram Yoga, named after it's inventor Bikram Choudhury. The way that it differs from your standard yoga class is that instead of just doing a series of poses, your doing a set series of 26 poses in a room heated around 95-100 degrees. Now I know what your thinking, that sounds crazy! But it really isn't as bad as it sounds :)

The reason that it is done in such intense heat is because when you sweat that much your releasing all the toxins from your body, as well as the heat warms your body up which in turn makes you more flexible. I don't know about you, but if I'm not sweating then I don't feel like I'm getting a good enough work out. With Bikram yoga sweating is'nt even a question, your pretty much sweating within moments of being in the room. You start with a simple breathing pose, then you move into the standing poses (which I find to be the more difficult poses in the series) and gradually move into the floor poses. So it's set up in a way that you do the more strenuous poses in the begging, so once you start to feel like you getting pretty tired the floor poses begin. Even though sometimes it feels like your not going to be able to finish, somehow your body pushes through and when your done you feel amazing!

I really encourage everyone to try hot yoga, it is hands down my favorite work out and defiantly the most effective method to stay in shape that I have ever tried. Most people don't really get it on the first class, so instructors encourage people to give it at least 10 tries before you decide if it's for you or not. That's about how long it takes for your body to really understand exactly how it works. Hope everyone tries it out sometime soon, Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment